Thursday, October 7, 2010

Coaster Woasters

Hello there!  Well, it's been awhile yet again since I've been out to post, but you have to admit, it hasn't been as long since the previous time.  I thought a good topic for today would be about getting ready for the holidays.  And by the holidays, I really am only talking about Christmas.  Because you see, I am up to my arm pits (Yes, arm pits!) in Christmas knitting.  However, I am proud of myself.  I started mucho earlier this year than last and I'm knitting up from existing patterns and not making a new pattern up as I knit along.  This is making the process much easier.  Well so far at least.

Perhaps in another post I'll talk about some of my current projects.  But for today, I thought I'd share the projects I knitted up last year and the pattern I used.

It all started when I tried to think up a 'family' gift for my three brothers and their family.  You see, we used to draw names but then a few years back my sister in law thought it would be a better idea and cheaper to do one family gift for each family.  So that is what we have done for the past few years.  The trouble is how to keep from being boring and repeating the same gift over and over.  I thought up a remedy.  I'd knit something.

So that's what I did.  I set out to knit up some coasters to go in a basket full of coffees, teas, ciders, hot chocolate mixes etc.  Sounds cool huh?  Well, it did to me so I went with it.

So in honor of starting the homemade Christmas gift process all over again I thought I'd share with you the pattern I used last year to create these coasters that went into my families Christmas gift basket.


Coaster Woasters

1 Skein Lion Brand Thick 'N Quick Grass
1 Skein Lion Brand Thick 'N Quick Cranberry
1 Skein Lion Brand Thick 'N Quick Natural Cream

(These are the colors I used.  You can choose any contrasting colors of your liking.)

Size US 8 - 5.0 mm needles

Stitches used in this pattern are:
Garter Stitch
Yarn Over (YO)
Knit 2 Together (K2tog)

Gauge isn't really important.  You just want to make sure that your stitches are nice and tight. Which using the size 8 needles really does help with that.

CO 2 stitches



Row 1 K1, YO, K1
Row 2 K1, YO, Knit to end of row
Repeat Row 2 until you have 22 stitches on your needle.




Row 21 K1, YO, K2tog, Knit until 3 stitches remain on needle, K2tog, K1
Report row 21 until you have 2 stitches left on your needle.
Bind off





The increases and decreases with using the YO leaves the nice little openings along the sides.  Using one of your contrasting colors, weave the yarn through the holes and then tie off at the starting / ending corner to make a nice decorative bow.

I made these in sets of 4 and tied them together with a festive card that said Handmade Coasters by my name.

And there you have it.  The pattern I used this time last year to knit up nice, quick and easy Christmas gifts.  In a later post I'll show off some of my current Christmas knitting.  But for now, I think it's safe to call this blog post done.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm a beginner knitter and am confused. At Row 21, if you K1, YO, K2tog, Knit to end of row will you not always be stuck with 22 stitches?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan, sorry the delay in response. There is a correction to the pattern. It should read.

    Row 21 K1, YO, K2tog, Knit until three stitches remain on needle then K2tog, K1

    ReplyDelete